Malaysia's leading economic index declined by 0.8 percent month-over-month in September of 2018, following a 0.3 percent rise in the previous month and reaching the first drop since May. Among seven components of the index, three decreased: real imports of semiconductors (-0.4 percent), real imports of other basic precious & other non-ferrous metals (-0.4 percent), and number of housing units approved (-0.3 percent). Meanwhile, the coincident index, which measures the overall current economic performance, dropped 0.7 percent month-on-month in September, dragged mainly by retail trade (-0.9 percent). On year-on-year basis, the index grew 3.4 percent. Leading Economic Index in Malaysia averaged 0.18 percent from 1991 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 4.50 percent in April of 1994 and a record low of -3.30 percent in November of 1991.

Leading Economic Index in Malaysia is expected to be 1.00 percent by the end of this quarter, according to Trading Economics global macro models and analysts expectations. Looking forward, we estimate Leading Economic Index in Malaysia to stand at -0.90 in 12 months time. In the long-term, the Malaysia Leading Economic Index is projected to trend around 1.80 percent in 2020, according to our econometric models.

Malaysia Leading Economic Index
width
height
Forecast Data Chart
Trading Economics members can view, download and compare data from nearly 200 countries, including more than 20 million economic indicators, exchange rates, government bond yields, stock indexes and commodity prices.

The Trading Economics Application Programming Interface (API) provides direct access to our data. It allows API clients to download millions of rows of historical data, to query our real-time economic calendar, subscribe to updates and receive quotes for currencies, commodities, stocks and bonds.


Calendar GMT Actual Previous Consensus TEForecast
2018-08-20 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM 0.5% -1.0%
2018-09-24 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM 0.2% 0.5%
2018-10-24 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM 0.3% 0.1%
2018-11-22 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM -0.8% 0.3% 0.8%
2018-12-24 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM -0.8%
2019-01-24 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM
2019-02-23 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM 1%


Malaysia Business Last Previous Highest Lowest Unit
Business Confidence 108.80 116.30 126.00 70.60 Index Points [+]
Industrial Production 4.20 2.20 12.80 -17.60 percent [+]
Industrial Production Mom 1.70 -0.40 7.20 -5.60 percent [+]
Manufacturing Production 5.40 4.80 38.50 -44.40 percent [+]
Changes in Inventories -6454.00 -2812.00 6475.00 -10585.00 MYR Million [+]
Car Production 47554.00 33436.00 64333.00 1112.00 Units [+]
Car Registrations 79099.00 130689.00 138727.00 9732.00 [+]
Leading Economic Index -0.80 0.30 4.50 -3.30 percent [+]
Internet Speed 8945.38 8200.47 8945.38 826.70 KBps [+]
IP Addresses 1704176.00 1654177.00 2205250.00 681617.00 IP [+]
Mining Production 1.40 -6.20 16.20 -20.30 percent [+]
Manufacturing Pmi 48.20 49.20 52.00 46.90 [+]
Cement Production 1571.00 1483.00 2442.00 147.00 Thousands of Tonnes [+]
Coincident Index 135.70 136.70 137.10 56.80 Index Points [+]
Competitiveness Index 74.38 73.24 74.38 4.87 Points [+]
Competitiveness Rank 25.00 26.00 26.00 18.00 [+]
Ease of Doing Business 15.00 24.00 24.00 6.00 [+]
Corruption Index 47.00 49.00 53.20 43.00 Points [+]
Corruption Rank 62.00 55.00 62.00 23.00 [+]


Malaysia Leading Economic Index

In Malaysia, the Leading Index provides early signal on the direction in which the economy is going. It is calculated based on real money supply M1, Bursa Malaysia industrial index, real total traded (eight major trading partners: Japan, USA, Germany, UK, Singapore, Thailand, China, Canada), CPI for services (inverted), industrial material price index, ratio of price to unit labor cost (manufacturing), number of housing permits approved, number of new companies registered, trend adjustment factor. The index has a base value of 100 as of 2005. This page provides - Malaysia Leading Composite Index - actual values, historical data, forecast, chart, statistics, economic calendar and news. Malaysia Leading Economic Index - actual data, historical chart and calendar of releases - was last updated on December of 2018.

Actual Previous Highest Lowest Dates Unit Frequency
-0.80 0.30 4.50 -3.30 1991 - 2018 percent Monthly
2005=100




Country Last Previous
Argentina -4.50 Oct/18
Australia 0.10 Oct/18
Brazil 0.02 Oct/18
Canada -0.10 Sep/18
Japan 100.50 Oct/18
Mexico 2.10 Sep/18
Russia 2.50 Oct/18
Singapore 112.00 Sep/18
South Africa -0.20 Sep/18
South Korea 113.40 Oct/18
Turkey 0.33 Oct/18
United Kingdom 0.40 Oct/18
United States 124.54 Oct/18


Related

Latest