Singapore Trade Surplus Narrows in October


Singapore's trade surplus narrowed to S$3.5 million in October, as exports fell to S$44.01 billion and imports decreased slightly to S$40.53 billion when compared to September..

On a year-on-year basis, total trade rose by 3.3 per cent in October 2012, compared to the 3.8 per cent decrease in the previous month. Total exports grew by 1.6 per cent in October 2012, after the 6.5 per cent contraction in the previous month. Total imports increased by 5.1 per cent in October 2012, in contrast to the 0.5 per cent decline in the preceding month.

On a month-on-month seasonally adjusted basis, total trade expanded by 3.5 per cent in October 2012, following the 1.1 per cent increase in the previous month. On a SA basis, the level of total trade reached S$81 billion in October 2012, higher than the previous month’s achievement of S$79 billion. Total exports rose by 2.2 per cent in October 2012, after a 2.6 per cent increase in the previous month. Total imports grew by 4.8 per cent in October 2012, compared to a 0.5 per cent decline in the previous month.

International Enterprise Singapore | Andre Crujo | andre@tradingeconomics.com
12/14/2012 3:19:45 PM